Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Clothing Diet.


This past summer I moved out of my parent's house and took all of my possessions along with me. There is something about packing up over 50 shirts and 20 pairs of pants that makes you think... "I have too many clothes." And after lugging boxes full of clothes to Rochester, I decided that I wanted to restructure my wardrobe.

Now, this did not entail buying new clothes. I owned heaps of clothes I never wore. This was the time to stop being so picky and unsatiable and learn to be happy with what I already had.

I promised myself to stop buying clothes for a whole year. With the exception of socks and underwear.

That was last August. It's been eight months.

I feel like my priorities have changed drastically. My body image is no longer about what I wear, but how my body looks and feels. I am less concerned with appearance, thus more comfortable and happy with it. Little oddities that I once noticed in my clothes are gone. The back of my closet, where clothes went untouched for small nuances is slowly being integrated back into my wardrobe.

I'm really proud of this promise. And recommend it. When you don't have the option to buy new clothes, you are forced to reevaluate what you have and realize it was enough all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment