Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Tribute to Childhood


When I was very young and living in Pennsylvania I found myself exploring the beautiful indoor/outdoor gardens that make up Long Wood Gardens. I would go for school trips, to see light displays, fountain shows, and fire works. One of my fondest memories, is of their children's garden. Here there were hedges that created mazes and passage ways with water features that you could play in. Simply put, it was awesome!

Last week, I had the pleasure of returning for the first time as an adult. The childrens' garden has been renovated, and certainly did not disappoint! The designers and artists that created it, inspired that same awe in my adult self as they did years ago.Everything was made to scale. We had to duck through passageways to get to secret parts of the garden.
The fountains and statues in the garden created a magical atmosphere.
There was a great balance of aesthetic beauty and playfulness.
These birds blew bubbles into the fountain. Imagine walking through stone passage ways and finding quaint gardens filled with jovial fountains and small nooks to play hide and seek. This is all while experiencing a strong enveloping smell of roses and greenery no matter what season.

Magic.

1 comment:

  1. This post has inspired me to check out Longwood! I've been there for Christmas/New Years but have never seen it in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete