Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An Artists Dilemma

This past semester I have been seeping with imagery and ideas I am truly proud of. I'm creating work that finally feels like a solid representation of me. However, I feel it is lacking any real conceptual validity. The imagery comes to me usually in class. They are doodles that turn into elaborate drawings in the middle of class. I can't seem to find any real substance to them past the aesthetic value. I find that my art is more intrinsically motivated, and flows easier, and is of higher caliber when I focus on discovery and creation, instead of message. But I have a hard time accepting that as enough in my work.

This week I'm supposed to discuss the technical part of my work. I practice the philosophy of the messier the better. I really like to combined mediums, paint, pen, and print making. A lot of my work can be described as "Suessical" or surreal. I feel that this quality is best illustrated in a 2D medium because is makes it resemble a narrative in a book. Color is also very important to me. Although I am not a very bright and colorful person, I find myself using lots of colors in my art. Sometimes they are very vibrant, and other times they are washed out, but I really enjoy warm colors against messy black pen drawings. I think this semester I will probably be working in two different directions. First I will be making paintings, and then prints to compliment them. I like this pairing of the one of a kind unique image with a reproducible more controlled image. I think this juxtaposition is quintessentially me.

No comments:

Post a Comment