Sunday, September 26, 2010

Robert Frank Abplanalp

I went to the Artists Row at the Rochester Public Market last weekend and saw some very interesting and inspiring artist, but one stood out. I know very little about Robert Frank Abplanalp besides that I really enjoy his art. At the market, I briefly complimented his art and took a business card before I ran away scared I would buy something. He can be found at robertfrank.etsy.com and robertfrankart.blogspot.com. Here are some examples of his work, they can all be found on his blog, which you should check out! His work is also hanging at Muddy Waters Cafe until February.Life of Leisure- acrylic on paper
Feathers and Flies- Acrylic and Ink

His pen drawings and the use of colored washes are what drew me to his work. These are elements that are becoming very important in my own work. His works are illustrative and his titles imply a little bit of narrative. They are playful, dark, and curious. His subject matter is varied, but two major themes are imaginary forms and plants. There is a lot of texture to his work and repetition. He also frequently uses borders. Something that I feel makes his work even more storybook-like. In my pen drawings I never use borders, but my figures usually have some relationship with the edge of the image.

I have never been one to use titles, but earlier this week I talked with another art major about them, and Robert Frank's successful use of them have made me give them a second thought. I think his titles give the viewer a clue to understanding his work. They don't blatantly explain the work, however they give the viewer a piece of how he understands his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment